Make the most of your trip and explore all of the highlights of Vietnam with this bucket list! Why not do some more research an add some of your own? Everyone has different ideas for tbe best adventures!
- Ca phe phin – Your own mini espresso maker! Hot water is poured onto the freshly ground coffee beans in the little, steel filter pot. The aromatic, infused coffee then drips down into your cups. It takes a few minutes but be patient. When it’s finished take the lid off the filter, turn it upside down and put it onthe table. Then you can rest the used filter on top and stop the coffee drips going everywhere.
- Water Puppet Show – You won’t see a show like this anywhere else on earth. It’s not often you can combine culture and humor but this fascinating show does just that. Where to see it? In Hanoi, at the world-famous Thang Long Water Puppet Theater (57B Dinh Tien Hoang, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi). In Hochiminh City, at the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater (55B Nguyen Thi Minh Khai street, Dist 1).
- Ride a “Xe Om” – Put your life in someone else hands. Climb aboard a motorbike and zoom along to your next destination. Wear a helmet and hold on tight!
- Try a Cyclo – For short journeys then hop on a cyclo and get escorted in style. Make sure that you agree a price prior to getting in though!
- Treat yourself to a trip to the tailor – In the Western world it’s only the rich anf famous who can afford to get their clothes handmade in the finest materials. Now you can too! Treat yourself to a tailor made piece of clothing for the same price you normally pay for a store bought item at home.
- Ride an Elephant – There is something truly humbling about riding one of these magnificent creatures. The fact that you get to enjoy the countryside at the same time is a bonus. Check reviews online before booking an Elephant tour to make sure that the animals appear well cared for and the tour isn’t overcrowded.
- Ride an Ostrich – For a totally surreal experience why not have a go at Ostrich riding. There are a variety of places that offer the activity across Vietnam but most notably on Hon Tre island (near Nha Trang). These giant birds measure 3 meters tall and weigh over 150kg. Just grip with your thighs and bounce along.
- Eat like a local – Sample a local delicacy at a street vendor. Sit with the locals an enjoy a simple Vietnamese dining experience. It might not look like much but the food is guaranteed to be authentic… and delicious! Try it at least once and you won’t regret it.
- Do a shot of Snake Wine – Chances are that you have never drunk wine with a fermenting snake curled up in the bottom. Well you are in for a treat with this shot of fiery rice wine. Just make sure you don’t swallow the snake!
- Visit a night market – The bright lights, the energetic vibe and the hectic bustling make Vietnamese night markets a must do experience. Whether you go to buy souvenirs, get a bite to eat or just soak up the atmosphere – you have to see it to believe it sometimes!
- Visit a floating market – These water markets are especially prevalent in the Mekong Delta – Cai Rang Market in Can Tho is a great example of traditional floating market. All of the goods are traded from boats on the river and the unique market is busy with tourist and locals alike.
Visit a salon / spa and get a treatment – This is one for the ladies (or guys if you like this kind of thing!) Even the humblest of Vietnamese beauty salons offer the most amazing treatments. Simply point to what you want and agree a price in advance (if you don’t arrange the price in advance then you can be charged extortionate prices at the end).